Tottenham’s wantaway striker Harry Kane will be heavily fined after failing to report to the club’s training ground on Monday morning, according to reports. The 27-year-old is angling for a summer move away from the capital, with Manchester City believed to be keen on bringing him to the Etihad Stadium ahead of the new campaign.
Kane has reportedly grown frustrated with life at Spurs, who are currently enduring a long and painful 14-year wait for major honours.
The England skipper is yet to win a single trophy as a professional despite a number of missed opportunities for both club and country, and is said to be keen on finding a new challenge in time for the new season.
City have been credited with an interest in his services as Pep Guardiola seeks a top-class striker to replace Sergio Aguero, who joined Barcelona on a free transfer at the end of the previous campaign.
Kane’s absence on Monday suggests that he is trying to force through a move to the newly-crowned Premier League champions, but Spurs are preparing to react strongly by punishing him with a hefty fine, according to the Evening Standard.
The report claims that club chiefs are disappointed with Kane’s decision to snub a return to the training ground and feel they have no choice but to take action in the form of a substantial penalty for a breach of his contract.
JUST IN: Man Utd ‘monitoring’ Kane situation after Tottenham star fails to show
The scale of the fine will reportedly depend on how Kane, who registered more goals and assists than any other Premier League player last season, decides to resolve the situation.
It is said that he did not inform Spurs of the reason behind his no-show, but his decision could well be in protest of Daniel Levy’s reluctance to grant his transfer demands.
Kane believes that he has a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ with the controversial 59-year-old to leave the club this summer, but the latter is said to be vehemently opposed to selling his prized asset.
City have already seen a nine-figure bid for Kane, understood to be in the region of £100million, turned down and it remains to be seen whether an improved offer will be tabled in the foreseeable future.
The forward has another three years left to run on his current deal with Spurs, suggesting that Levy holds all the cards in spite of his star man’s desire to leave.
Kane admitted earlier this summer that he was planning to consider his future as a matter of priority as he looks to realise his dream of lifting silverware on a regular basis.
“I think it’s definitely a conversation to be had with the club,” Kane told Gary Neville on The Overlap back in May.
“Yeah, like you say, I want to be playing in the biggest games. The biggest moments. I hope that we can have that conversation.”
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview for YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.
“I’m sure that [Daniel Levy] will want to set out the plan of where he sees it, but ultimately it’s going to be down to me and how I feel and what’s going to be the best for me and my career at this moment in time.”
Kane has scored a total of 221 goals in 336 appearances for Spurs since finding the back of the net on his Premier League debut for the club seven years ago.
He played a crucial role for England at Euro 2020 this summer, starting every game at the tournament and chipping in with four goals despite an initially shaky start to proceedings.